Saturday, March 12, 2011

Thankful

Today I got my cell phone bill from last month and it was $400.  I never realized how much love and support we have received from friends and family wanting to know about the girls through phone calls and texts.  There are some days where the inquiries are too much for me to handle, but then I take a step back and realize that people love us very much and want to support us in this journey.  I wish there was a special phone discount for parents who have their kids in the NICU!  I am thankful for good friends and family who care.

Lily's pod is nicknamed the "Princess Pod" because there are only girls in there.  It just worked out that way, but we have used this to our advantage.  Everyone has decorated their little girls area with cute decorations, blankets, stuffed animals, and balloons.  My school gave me an amazing baby shower Thursday and I used some of those decorations to dress up Lily's area.  I am thankful for wonderful co-workers who take extra special care of me.



The other day, it was just myself and two other mothers holding our babies in the pod.  We started talking about our NICU experiences.  I found out that one of the mothers has been there for six months.  Her baby was only one pound when she was born and has already had three surgeries.  She doesn't even live in town and has been commuting to Houston every weekend for the past six months.  It costs her $300 every weekend just to come in to see her little girl.  The other mother has been there for nine months.  Her baby has had multiple surgeries and was 1.5 pounds at birth.  I decided to stop complaining about my one month journey.  My babies are both doing extremely well, considering the situation.  Yes, we have been through a lot, but when I heard the other women tell their stories, ours is minimal compared to theirs.  I am thankful both our girls are moving forward and getting healthier and I pray for the children and families of the other mothers in our pod.

No comments:

Post a Comment