Friday, February 18, 2011

I should not watch Supernanny

I haven't discovered much to do in the general "triangle" area of Beaumont, Port Arthur, Nederland, etc.  I spend several hours at the hospital every morning, usually until I am starving, and then leave to get a bite to eat.  I return that evening with Brice and we stay until about 11 p.m.  In my limited off time, I am usually in the hotel trying to get a few minutes of quiet time.  The last two days, I have, instead, attempted to navigate the area.  Did you know there is no Sephora anywhere around this area?  AARRRGGHHH!  There isn't a DSW either.  Where is a girl supposed to buy shoes and makeup?

I gave up and decided to watch television.  I have five channels to choose from and my choices range from a local program (very local,) to Nancy Grace, to Supernanny.  I settle on Supernanny because, hey, I might learn something!  So today's episode happens to be be about adoption.  Great!  This woman has adopted four children from four different countries and her husband is in the military and in Afghanistan.  Children are everywhere, people are screaming, and no one is sleeping.  My mind wanders.  This is only contributing to my feeling of being overwhelmed.  Can I be a good mom, keep twins on a schedule, create a strong family of faith and love?  I used to watch Supernanny as entertainment.  It hit home today.

When I first told people we were adopting twins, I wish I had a dollar for everyone who said, "Wow, your life is going to change."  Some people actually said to me, "Life, as you know it, is over." "Wow, you're really in for it." and even "You're going to have to give up that theatre thing you do."  While I think these were intended as statements of endearment, kind of like a "welcome to this exclusive club of parenthood" sort of thing, they really hurt my feelings.  Perhaps I'm too sensitive, but I thought a lot of the statements were presumptious.  Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate everyone who has offered to help, babysit, run errands, etc.  I have the dearest friends and family in the world.  I know it's going to be tough and life changing with one, much less two children at the same time, but I think life is what you make of it.  Brice and I will give Lily and Chloe everything they need, encourage their strengths, help them choose the best activities for them (ballet, softball, swimming, etc.) and will love them as our own children.  In my heart, I believe you can maintain your own identity and individualism and still have children.  When you give your entire self to your children, you lose part of you and then nobody wins because you later resent that you did it.  I want us to all maintain our individuality and strengths, while still creating the family we've always dreamed of.  I believe we can do it.

2 comments:

  1. My life definitely changed. But 100% for the better. I love every minute with my kids, even the awful ones. You will make the life you want. You give up what you want, and you keep what is really important. I'm not who I was before babies, but I love who I am now. Do I wish I had more time to myself? Yup. But I really really enjoy the time I do get.

    You will balance it all out because that is who you are. So what if it's tough? You are strong and awesome and you will be amazing.


    Your girls are beautiful. I love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't want to comment because I'm a tumblr snob, but I just can't help it.
    Congratulations!
    I am so excited for you! This is going to be an amazing experience, and I'm excited to see what your baby girls will teach you.
    I'm sure they will bring dimension to all parts of your life, not just at home, but as a counselor, friend and as an actress and director.
    I know these babies, Chloe and Lily are already a blessing, best of luck with handling the trifecta and NCIU and I hope the good fortune continues.
    Congrats, again.
    <3 Kristin

    ReplyDelete