Friday, February 18, 2011

Mixed Emotions

On Tuesday, February 15, our birthmother signed her relinquishment papers and Brice and I signed to accept the girls as our own.  I thought that I would feel overwhelmed with joy and excitement when this day came, but I couldn't stop thinking about our birthmother and what she must be going through.  It still amazes me that someone could be that selfless and giving to choose adoption for her children.  I hold these little girls and they are angels to me.  Sometimes I even wonder what I did to deserve this incredible gift.

Earlier that day, we were in the NICU holding the girls and I knew the adoption agency representative was coming to do the relinquishment.  I was holding this precious baby and my heart was absolutely pounding.  Hours went by and I hadn't heard anything.  Of course, my mind is thinking that our birthmother has changed her mind, we've just wasted all this time uprooting our lives to another city and putting our hearts out there.  When I heard it was done and it was time for our signing, I was so relieved.  I never thought I'd love anyone as much as I love these two little girls.

When we returned to the NICU later that day, the nursing staff had a surprise for us.  They had dressed up the girls for Valentine's Day and done a photo session with them.  Below is one of the pictures they gave us:


The nurses said that not long after this precious picture was taken, one sister tried to bite the other one. 

Having a sister is like having a best friend you can't get rid of. You know whatever you do, they'll still be there.
-- Amy Li

No comments:

Post a Comment