Thursday, February 24, 2011

This one goes out to all the wanna-be rappers at Applebees....

It's Friday night in the "triangle area," we've just spent several hours at the hospital with the girls, and we're hungry.  I have come to determine that there are very few restaurants that stay open late in the area.  I'm not used to this.  In Houston, you can get something good to eat any time of the day or night.  It was around 10:45 p.m. and we went to Chili's.  We waited for fifteen minutes and no one would wait on us.  Waiters kept walking by, the bar was full, yet no one acknowledged our presence even to say that the kitchen was closing down.  I was so tired and hungry by that point that I just wanted to cry, but I had faith in the "triangle area" and my faith was answered in the form of Applebees.  Okay, I never thought I'd utter those words, but wait...there's more.  Applebees was rockin'!  The parking lot was full and I actually told Brice, "this must be the place to be on a Friday night!"  Well, maybe if you're into very loud karaoke that is sung off-key. 

Now, I'm not the best singer in the world, but I'm not going to get up there and belt out "All that Jazz," which some people chose to do.  These people happened to be from a local theatre group that also happened to be putting on a musical.  They were sitting in our section wearing their cast shirts.  Once they started singing, I looked at their table to determine if they had been drinking.  They weren't.  The song just got louder and louder.  It sounded like there were several feral cats in heat in the area.  I couldn't stand it anymore.  I started laughing.  I am not saying this to be a theatre snob.  I thought it was totally cool that they were having such an awesome time at Applebees.  I have been a part of many theatre groups that have been out having an obnoxious cast party.  I looked around and everyone was genuinely having a blast.  The next guy got up there and proclaimed, "This one goes out to all the wanna-be rappers at Applebees!"  I started laughing again...and harder.  This guy had no sense of rhythm at all.  I was laughing so hard I was crying.  At one point, I called Melissa because I knew no one besides Brice would believe me.  She was laughing, too.  I really needed that laugh and that fun time at Applebees.  I hadn't laughed that hard since....well, in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment